pumpkin is here! it’s after labor day, so it’s acceptable to shout PUMPKINNNNN from the rooftops. so here i made pumpkin pie pop tarts! i loveeee pop tarts – and it’s so easy to make them from scratch! i say from scratch, but i also used prepared pie crust. you can totally make your own pie crust if you’re into that! making pie crust from scratch just gives me a little anxiety – i’m more of a pancakes or muffins from scratch kinda girl. so i used frozen pie crust 🙂
recipe: (makes about 8 tarts – depending on how big you make them!)
for the dough:
- ready-to-bake pie crust (i used this brand!)
for the filling:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
for the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2 (you can use dairy free if you need!)
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- pecans, toasted and chopped (for topping)
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- roll out pie crust until it’s a bit thinner – about 1/4 inch thick.
- cut into about 4×5 rectangles – you should have 14-16 rectangles depending on how thick your dough is.
- for the filling, combine pumpkin puree, brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- spread about 1-2 Tablespoons of filling on half of the dough rectangles, leaving about a half inch on all sides.
- take the other halves of the dough and place on top of the filling – crimp edges with a fork to seal.
- place tarts on a baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes until golden brown – bake longer if you want them more crispy!
- meanwhile, make the maple glaze! in a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, heavy cream, maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- mix until smooth – once your pop tarts are cooled, top with glaze and toasted chopped pecans.
- serve and enjoy!