Not the traditional hot dog! I’ve always thought it was fun to change it up with different cuisines. These hot dogs are here just in time for Labor Day weekend!
I love the fresh crunch you get from these dogs – with a little heat from the spicy mayo and jalapenos. This slaw is filled with fresh herbs, too! All the freshness you can get added on top of a juicy, charred hot dog. Also, Josh told me I HAD to get potato buns. He wasn’t wrong.
- 1 8-pack hot dogs (you can use turkey or chicken hot dogs, too!)
- 1 8-pack hot dog buns
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 jar kimchi (whatever kind you like, this is the brand I use: click here)
- 2 jalapenos (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sesame seeds as garnish
- salt & pepper
for the slaw:
- In a large bowl, combine red cabbage, coleslaw mix, sesame oil, fish sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, honey, and sugar.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix until combined and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Add in the basil and cilantro – saving about a Tablespoon of each for garnish.
for the hot dogs:
- In the meantime, cook the hotdogs! Grill them or cook them in a pan to char nicely.
- Butter your hotdog rolls and place them on a sheet pan. Broil until toasted and browned (only a few minutes – be careful they don’t burn!)
for the spicy mayo:
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sriracha and garlic powder until combined and smooth.
build your dogs!
- Place a hot dog in each bun.
- Add some kimchi on top of each dog along with about 3 Tablespoons of slaw.
- Drizzle spicy mayo over the slaw.
- Garnish with sliced jalapenos, sesame seeds and some extra basil and cilantro.