I love making this to have in my fridge for lunches to bring to work. It doesn’t take that much time to make and you can customize it the way you want. For this batch, I added diced zucchini for more nutrition and volume – and because of the spices and tomatoes, you can’t even taste it! But for me, it doesn’t matter because I love zucchini 🙂 and you can use any vegetables you want!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 large zucchinis, diced small
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional for spice)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch + 2 Tablespoons very cold water
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat to medium-high heat and add about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add your onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and ground chicken.
- Cook chicken until browned and cooked through.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste vegetable broth and stir until combined.
- Add diced zucchini and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until zucchini is tender.
- Add black beans and your cornstarch/water mixture and stir until combined and thick.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, sour cream, tortilla chips or ALL of the above!