I made these at the Burlington County Farmers Market this morning for the cooking demonstration in the Farmhouse Kitchen! It was my first cooking demo – and it was one of the bet things I’ve ever done. It makes me so happy to share my love of food – especially pancakes! I topped these with homemade whipped cream, powdered sugar and toasted pecans.
for the pecans:
- 1 bag shelled, whole pecans
- Lay pecans flat on a baking sheet.
- Toast in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool and chop pecans.
for the whipped cream:
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add whipping cream to a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Whip until you reach stiff peaks – watch closely do you don’t over-whip.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Mix until just combined.
for the pancakes:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened vanilla OR Origin Almond‘s Cinnamon Vanilla Horchata almond milk from the Farmers Market!)
- Peel and dice the sweet potato – place in a pot with 1/2 inch full of water.
- On medium-high heat, cook sweet potato until very soft and tender.
- Set sweet potato aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin spice.
- Once sweet potato is cooled, place in a blender with1/2 cup of almond milk.
- Blend until smooth and transfer to another bowl.
- Add eggs and melted butter to the sweet potato puree and mix until smooth.
- Add sweet potato mixture in about 3 increments to the dry ingredients, alternating with rest of the almond milk – mix until just combined.
- Heat a large skillet up to medium heat and grease.
- Add batter to make small or large pancakes – your choice.
- Once batter bubbles, flip.
- Serve with whipped cream, toasted pecans, powdered sugar and puree maple syrup!