I’m totally not vegan… I eat everything, but I do believe in the plant-based lifestyle. These are the closest you can get to eating a real crab cake while still being 100% vegan. Even if you aren’t vegan.. don’t knock it ’til you try it! This is seriously a delicious recipe. Instead of crab, I used hearts of palm. Shredding hearts of palm in a food processor gives you something that looks like crab meat. I then added breadcrumbs made from gluten-free crackers and ground flaxseed, old bay seasoning, vegan mayo and dijon mustard.. fresh dill brought it all together! Eat it alone, make into a sandwich, or add it to a salad – either way it’s so tasty.
Recipe: (makes 4 large cakes)
- 3 cans hearts of palm
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- about 10 gluten-free crackers (I used Jillz Crackers)
- 3 Tablespoons vegan mayo (I used Sir Kensington’s)
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop hearts of palm into 1-inch thick pieces and place them in a food processor.
- Pulse until they are shredded, but not mushy.
- Transfer to a colander and press as much liquid out of hearts of palm as you can.
- Transfer hearts of palm to a large bowl.
- Place crackers and flaxseed in a food processor and pulse until very fine.
- Add crumbs to the hearts of palm
- Add Old Bay seasoning, dijon mustard, vegan mayo, dill, salt and pepper.
- Mix until combined and form into cakes.
- Heat a skillet up to medium-high heat.
- Brown cakes on both sides – cover while browning so the cakes warm through.
- Once both sides are browned, they’re ready to eat!