Okay.. so these tacos. How do I explain how much I loved these tacos? I have no idea how I came up with bbq mushrooms, but it sure was a success. Instead of sautéing these shiitake mushrooms, I baked them. Sautéing mushrooms can create a lot of moisture and from what I have found, all the seasoning just comes right off of them because of that water! So, I decided to coat the mushrooms in seasoning and olive oil and bake them in the oven to dry them out slightly. Then I put them in a taco and topped it with ALL the toppings. So this recipe is vegan, minus the tortillas I used! But you can use vegan tortillas! 🙂
Recipe: (serves 2-3)
- 2 5 oz. packages of sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons sweet mesquite seasoning (I got this from Costco – amazing!)
- 2 Tablespoons bbq sauce
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- Sprinkle of cayenne pepper – your choice how much!
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 1/2 red onion, diced small
- 1 cup thinly sliced kale, massaged with olive oil & rice vinegar
- juice from 1 lime
- hummus, your choice! (I used Hope Foods spicy avocado hummus.)
- tortillas (I used Siete Foods coconut flour tortillas – these are not vegan!)
- hemp hearts, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place mushrooms in a large bowl – make sure they’re washed!
- Add mesquite seasoning, bbq sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Mix together until all the mushrooms are coated.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and spread out the mushrooms in one even layer.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until mushrooms are dried out but not TOO dry. You don’t want them to be too crispy.
- Put peppers and onions into a bowl and add lime juice, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Time to build your tacos – warm up a tortilla, top with mushrooms, red pepper & red onion mixture, kale, hummus and hemp hearts.
- AMAZING!!! Enjoy!