These tacos were so perfect in so many ways! I cooked the chicken with a light coating of flour and shredded coconut in my cast iron skillet. I added Granny Smith apple to the tacos for a crunch and a hint of sweet & sour, then topped the tacos off with kale coated in an avocado dressing! The textures in these tacos are ON POINT!
Recipe: (serves 3-4)
- 3 chicken breasts, cut in half length-wise (so you end up with 6 thin slices of chicken breast)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 1 bunch kale, big stems removed and chopped thin
- 1 avocado
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced small
- tortillas – corn or flour! (I used corn)
- 2 limes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- shaved coconut, garnish
- Heat a large cast iron or regular skillet to medium-high heat.
- Combine flour, shredded coconut and all-purpose seasoning on a plate.
- Season each piece of chicken with salt & pepper on both sides.
- Dip each piece of chicken into flour & coconut mixture, pressing down so all the chicken is coated.
- Place one Tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil into your hot skillet.
- Start with cooking 3 pieces of chicken at a time. Place 3 pieces of chicken into the pan, brown both sides (about 2-3 minutes on each side) and squeeze juice from half a lime into the pan and cover for about 30 seconds.
- Once chicken is done, remove and let sit on a plate while you cook the second batch.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, let rest.
- Meanwhile, make the avocado dressing – Place 1 avocado into the food processor with juice of 1 lime, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Mix until everything is combined and creamy.
- Mix avocado dressing and kale together until all the kale is coated.
- Slice the chicken into thin pieces, and assemble your tacos.
- Tortilla + chicken + apple + kale + shaved coconut! Enjoy!