I cut these biscuits into a heart shape – because Valentine’s Day is coming of course – but also because they’re pretty. Before they went into the oven, I brushed them with Fourth & Heart Madagascar Vanilla Bean Ghee… yes, I said Ghee. I didn’t know what it was either until I saw a lot of foodies using it on Instagram. Basically, it’s butter – milk solids – water… and Fourth & Heart brand makes theirs with grass-fed butter and has a variety of different flavors. SO GOOD! So, I used this to top my biscuits before going into the oven, then I sprinkled some raw sugar on top. Needless to say, they were perfectly browned, crispy and slightly sweet on top while having that flaky biscuitiness (I made up that word) on the inside. Oh – and I used Kodiak Cakes so you know they’re full of protein!
- 2 cups Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Powercakes Mix
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, diced into cubes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup strawberries, diced small
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Bean Ghee (you can just use butter with a little bit of vanilla if you don’t have ghee)
- sugar in the raw, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine Kodiak Cakes mix, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt and whisk together until smooth.
- Add butter, and dry ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Pulse until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Pour mixture back into the bowl and add almond milk.
- Carefully mix with your hands or a fork until batter is just mixed.
- Add strawberries and mix until just evenly incorporated, being careful not to mix too much! (butter will melt)
- Freeze batter for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and roll out on a floured surface until about 1 & 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a heart or circle cutter
and cut out your biscuits.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Melt your ghee or vanilla butter and brush each biscuit until coated lightly.
- Sprinkle sugar in the raw on each biscuit.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Let cool (or don’t), slice in half and fill biscuit with whipped cream and extra strawberries 🙂 or just eat alone with some tea!