So this is the first time I cooked raw, whole artichokes! You can do this two ways… you can either buy two large artichokes and work with these, or you can buy canned artichoke hearts. Canned is more convenient, but if you put a little more work in and use the raw artichokes, I promise you – you will definitely taste the difference!
- 2 large artichokes OR 1 can artichoke hearts, drained & diced small
- 1 8 oz. package tortellini
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk of choice – I used 1% milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Okay, so before you go any further – CLICK HERE to learn how to cook & eat an artichoke. For this recipe, all you need are the hearts of the artichoke. If you want to cook the whole artichoke, feel free to eat the leaves on the side of your tortellini!
- Dice your cooked artichoke hearts and place them aside.
- Cook tortellini according to package.
- Add about a Tablespoon of olive oil to the tortellini after they’re cooked so they don’t stick together.
- In a sauce pan, add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add flour and stir until it becomes a thick paste.
- Add milk and immediately start whisking until all clumps of flour are gone.
- Let simmer, stirring frequently until the mixture becomes thick.
- Add parmesan cheese & fresh thyme (saving a little for garnish) and mix until combined.
- Add garlic powder and salt & papper to taste.
- Pour the cheesy sauce over your tortellini and add the artichoke hearts.
- Mix together and add fresh thyme over top for garnish!
- Serve and enjoy!