I made caramel with dates – no butter, no additional sugar! I mixed this raw caramel in with diced apples, topped it with a oatmeal crumble, and baked it in the oven. Then I topped it with ice cream.. SO GOOD!
Recipe: (makes 4 mini crisps)
• 1/3 cup Kodiak Cakes mix
• 1/3 cup instant oatmeal
• 1/3 cup coconut sugar
• 3 tablespoons butter, room temperate
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 large or 2 small granny smith apples, diced
• 1 & 1/2 cup pitted dates
• ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
• ½ teaspoon caramel extract
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Place dates in a bowl and fill the bowl with warm water.
• Let dates soak for about an hour – this lets them get softer so it’s easier to blend!
• Drain dates and add to your blender with almond milk and caramel extract.
• Blend until smooth – you may need to stop the blender and move mixture around with a spoon – it will take some time to get smooth!
• Place diced apples into a large bowl.
• Add date caramel and mix until incorporated.
• In a separate bowl, add Kodiak Cakes, oatmeal, coconut sugar, butter, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
• Mix together with a fork (or your hands – it may be easier) until the mixture resembles large crumbs.
• Grease 4 ramekins.
• Divide half of the crumble evenly into all 4 ramekins.
• Add apples evenly into 4 ramekins.
• Divide the rest of the crumble on top of apples.
• Bake for about 15-20 minutes until crumble is golden brown and apples are tender.
• Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
• Add ice cream on top and serve!