Let’s get in shape for summer! The warmer weather is coming, so now it’s time to really eat healthy. But why don’t we do this ALL year round?! I try, but when it’s cold out, I really crave heavier foods – it’s normal!
I tend to lean towards soup to get my veggies in, not necessarily smoothies. I personally CANNOT drink my greens and I’m not a huge fan of juicing because it removes all the healthy fiber from the fruit and vegetables. I hate the taste of a cold smoothie with kale, lettuce, or spinach in it. It just really turns me off. So, I made a green soup! It’s made with celery, zucchini, spinach, broccoli, and parsley. And it’s completely vegan and gluten free! Just like a green smoothie, only soup!
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 crowns broccoli, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups raw spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- heat a large pot to medium-high heat
- add about 2 tablespoons olive oil
- add onion, celery, garlic, and parsley
- cook until onions are translucent – about 15 minutes – stirring occasionally
- add vegetable broth, broccoli, and zucchini
- lower heat and let simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender
- transfer everything to a blender or use a hand blender and blend until smooth
- add spinach and blend again until smooth
- transfer back into the pot and serve!