I actually had this idea because last weekend I was at a wedding and they had chicken and waffle skewers. That was my first time tasting chicken and waffles and I was like WOAH – amazing.
I always buy Applegate chicken nuggets for wraps and such. I was like “these would be so perfect along with some mini waffles”.. and BOOM! WAFFLE SLIDERS! I found mini homestyle waffles at Whole Foods and made a homemade sauce. This recipe is a semi-homemade recipe and I love that it’s super fast to make. I use the brands that I love and believe in when it comes to nutrition. Then adding my own twist to it made it even better!
RECIPE: (I did not put how many waffles or nuggets because you can really make as many as you want! The sauce makes a good amount, but for reference, I made about 15 sliders)
- mini waffles (any brand you prefer)
- chicken nuggets (any brand you prefer)
- coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- place about 3 cups coleslaw mix in a large bowl
- add olive oil and apple cider vinegar to coleslaw and let sit for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally (this will slightly pickle the slaw)
- after 1 hour, drain the vinegar and olive oil from the slaw
- toast waffles
- heat chicken according to package
- for the sauce, add whole grain mustard, yellow mustard, hot sauce, and maple syrup in a small bowl and mix together
- assemble waffles sliders – waffle, spicy maple mustard, chicken nugget, slaw, waffle! YUM!