Recently featured on the Pure Barre Blog.
I really love a good trail mix because it can be so diverse. You can make yours a nut-free trail mix, make a trail mix with cereal for the morning or even try a dessert trail mix. I decided to make a trail mix with a mixture of nuts, ancient grain cereal, dried fruit, coconut flakes, and dark chocolate covered espresso beans! The chocolate espresso beans are added for a little sweet treat found within a mixture of healthy, protein and fiber packed ingredients. Opt for dark chocolate in your trail mix to increase the antioxidants with a small lower calorie portion.
Grab a handful on the go or take it with you to class for the perfect post-workout snack!
RECIPE: (makes 10 servings)
- 1 cup ancient grain cereal OR multigrain Cherios
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup banana chips
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup dried papaya
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup dark chocolate covered espresso beans
- Combine all of the ingredients in one bowl and mix together with your hands or a large wooden spoon.
- Store in airtight container or 10 individual bags for easy snacking!
Nutrition per serving: 180 calories, 10g fat, 3g monounsaturated fat, 2g polyunsaturated fat, 20g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 4g protein