Recipe recently featured on the Pure Barre blog.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I could eat Thanksgiving food all year long. I absolutely love cranberry sauce and, of course, the turkey. In honor of this delightful holiday focused around food, I decided to incorporate some of my favorite leftover Thanksgiving foods into a delicious sandwich perfect for Black Friday fuel. I constructed a BLT sandwich, and rather than using the traditional mayonnaise (which has saturated fats), I used avocado. Avocado contains only healthy mono-unsaturated fats and has the creamy consistency of mayonnaise.
Fun fact: One half of an avocado has 7.5 grams of monounsaturated (healthy fat), provides 6-7 grams of fiber and about 25% of daily-recommended intake for Vitamin K. Vitamin K is essential for bone health and increases calcium absorption!
I baked some uncured bacon, and added some tomato and cucumber for more of a crunch. It all comes together to make the ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey & Cranberry BLT!
RECIPE: (1 sandwich)
- 2 slices rye bread
- 3oz Cooked white meat turkey (about 2-3 slices, depending on how thick they’re cut)
- 2 Tablespoons cranberry sauce
- ½ avocado
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- handful spring mix (or any other lettuce you prefer – romaine, spinach, etc.)
- 2 slices uncured bacon
- bake the bacon on a baking sheet with a wire rack at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until crispy (but not charred)
- lightly toast the rye bread.
- mash the 1/2 avocado on one piece of bread
- top avocado with the cucumber, spring mix, turkey slices and bacon
- on the other piece of bread, spread the cranberry sauce
- place the tomatoes evenly on top of cranberry sauce
- put the two pieces of bread together to make a sandwich
- cut in half (you’re going to need to!) and devour 🙂