Recently featured on the Pure Barre Blog.
Recently I purchased a jar of Pumpkin Spice peanut butter – and no surprise, it’s delicious! It has a very subtle taste of pumpkin with pumpkin pie spice and, of course, peanut butter! I decided to make a peanut butter pumpkin treat. At first I was thinking pumpkin pie, but I thought it would be more fun to make a bite sized chocolate! Each ingredient contains a nutritious component.
- dark chocolate contains antioxidants
- peanut butter contains protein and healthy fats (Be sure to look for one without hydrogenated oils/trans fats!)
- pumpkin is high in Vitamin A, carotenoids and fiber
- gingersnaps … well, they are essential to any pumpkin pie dish!
This mini, tasty treat is sure to be a crowd pleaser at any party or fall dinner!
RECIPE: (makes 12 chocolates)
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup pumpkin spice peanut butter (or natural peanut butter)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 12 oz bag dark chocolate candy melts
- 12 gingersnaps plus 2 for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon earth balance butter spread
- 12 pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- in a small bowl, combine peanut butter, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract.
- place 12 gingersnaps and earth balance butter spread in a food processor and pulse until tiny crumbs form and butter is mixed in.
- in a mini cupcake pan, place about a teaspoon of the crumbled gingersnaps and press down.
- put about 1 ½ teaspoons of the peanut butter pumpkin mixture on top of the gingersnap crumbles and flatten out the top.
- freeze for about 30 minutes.
- in a microwave safe bowl, microwave candy melts for 30 seconds, mix and repeat until mixture is melted and smooth.
- remove tray from freezer.
- carefully remove each candy and place onto a baking sheet with wax paper, upside-down (pumpkin peanut butter filling side down).
optional: cut into squares – you can keep circles if you desire.
- top each pumpkin peanut butter candy with a dollop of chocolate.
- place the candies in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- remove the candies and flip each one over and cover other side with a dollop of chocolate.
- top with the two remaining crushed gingersnaps and a pumpkin seed on each.
- freeze for another 10 minutes and serve!