with sage and apple cider.
recently featured on the Pure Barre Blog.
I love a nice fall soup! It warms you up while letting you taste the flavors of the season. Pumpkin and squash are the two vegetables that really stand out to me when I think of autumn. I decided to make a soup incorporating both of these vegetables! I wanted to throw in something different, so I added some apple cider for more of a fall feel.
Although this dish includes the fall spices you’re probably familiar with such as nutmeg, cloves, and ginger, it also includes some savory notes such as paprika, garlic, celery, carrots, and onion. What you’re ending up with is a sweet and savory soup that is super delicious, but I think the real kicker is the garnish! I garnished this soup with pomegranate seeds. Did you know that pomegranate is a fall fruit? Mind blown. Since this soup has a creamy texture, and the pomegranate gives it a nice crunch along with a tangy sweetness that goes perfectly with this creamy, rich soup. Did I mention that this soup is vegan and gluten free? When the pumpkin and squash are blended together, it makes the soup nice a thick without having to add any cream or milk!
So deliciously healthy!
RECIPE: (serves 4-6 people)
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter spread (vegan & gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 vidalia onion, diced
- 4 medium sized carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons sage, chopped
- seeds from 1 pomegranate, for garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- in a large pot on medium-high heat, add the Earth Balance butter spread and olive oil.
- once the butter spread is melted, add the onions, carrots, celery, cloves, nutmeg and ginger.
- let simmer until onions are translucent – about 15 minutes.
- add the butternut squash and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- add in both the vegetable broth and the apple cider.
- stir in the pumpkin with a wooden spoon.
- let simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- use a hand blender or transfer to a blender and blend until the soup is smooth.
- serve in 4-6 bowls and garnish each dish with sage and pomegranate